It’s a classic scene. You write something. You scribble it out and crumple the paper.
If this is you every Valentines, try something new. Instead of being stuck in a rut of nauseating sweet nothings, use a more meaningful quote for your card this holiday.
We’re certain your loved one will understand how you feel better when you adopt someone else’s perfect words. Here are 20 short love quotes sure to melt their heart this year.
Love Each Other
1. “Above all, keep loving one another earnestly, since love covers a multitude of sins.”
– 1 Peter 4:8 ESV
We all know people aren’t perfect. This quote reminds your significant other that you love them no matter what.
2. “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. it does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.”
– 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 ESV
Although you may recognize many bible verses about love, this one is at the top of the list. It’s a popular one for weddings.
3. “Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.”
– Romans 12:9 ESV
No one wants a poser. Let your lover know the real you, and how much being genuine means.
Like Flashes of Fire
4. “Set me as a seal upon your heart, as a seal upon your arm, for love is strong as death, jealousy is fierce as the grave. Its flashes are flashes of fire, the very flame of the Lord. Many waters cannot quench love, neither can floods drown it. If a man offered for love all the wealth of his house, he would be utterly despised.”
– Song of Solomon 8:6-7 ESV
According to psychology, it might be better to take from your lover instead of giving to them. However you build your relationship, this quote is so poetic and tells your partner you think your love will last forever.
Invest In Your Lover
5. “They say love is the best investment; the more you give, the more you get in return.”
The famous actress was right. Give your partner a little extra this Valentines, and see how much love you get in return.
6. “Love is the greatest refreshment in life.”
– Pablo Picasso
This quote is a tribute to how love makes you feel new. It will let your lover know how important they are to you.
7. “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.”
– Oscar Wilde
We don’t want to focus on the absence of love very often because it’s a wretched feeling. But it can help us appreciate what a good thing we have if we recall how it feels to be without love.
It Doesn’t Feel Real
8. “This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”
Love makes you feel special, almost magical. This quote captures that feeling.
Funny Love Quote
9. “Age does not protect you from love, but love to some extent protects you from age.”
– Jeanne Moreau
The idea that love keeps us young isn’t new. And we can fall in love at any age. Here’s to being protected and extending youth as long as possible.
10. “I think we dream so we don’t have to be apart so long. If we’re in each other’s dreams, we can be together all the time.”
– A. A. Milne
What a sweet idea, never having to be apart from the one you love. Add this to your Valentine card for your sweetheart and they’ll know you miss them when they’re gone.
11. “Come live in my heart and pay no rent.”
– Samuel Lover, Irish poet from the early 1800s
It costs nothing to love someone. Allowing them room in your heart, while vulnerable, is worth every centimeter of heartache you risk. Let your partner know you’d love for them to take up residence in your heart forever.
All the Food
12. “Love is sharing your popcorn.”
– Charles Schultz
The creator of the Peanuts comic strip and Snoopy had it right. Your love wants to know that you’d share anything with them (including your favorite treat).
Short Love Quotes from Books
13. “Love is like the wind, you can’t see it but you can feel it.”
– Nicolas Sparks from A Walk to Remember
Philosophers love to use the wind as an example of something real that we know exists despite its invisibility. Love is no different. Your partner will love a card that expresses the depth of your love, even though you have no physical evidence to prove it.
14. “There is never a time or place for love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single, flashing, throbbing moment.”
– Sarah Dessen in The Truth About Forever
Something so fantastic couldn’t be convenient, too. Love just happens, and it happened to you. Tell your partner how you feel with this quote.
15. “Love is keeping the promise anyway.”
– John Green from The Fault In Our Stars
Sometimes we don’t know what effort keeping a promise will take. But if we love someone, we’ll keep the promise anyway. Tell your lover that you’ll always keep your promises with this romantic quote.
Meant To Be
16. “He’s more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.”
– Emily Brontë from Wuthering Heights
Rather than something ooey gooey, let your sweetheart know that your romantic feelings are because of all the similarities you share with this quote.
Classic Short Love Quote
17. “He is not a lover who does not love forever.”
The Greek playwright meant that it’s not true love if it doesn’t last into eternity. Use this quote in your Valentine card to tell your soulmate you’re sure you’ll be in love until the end of time.
18. “Where there is love, there is life.”
– Mahatma Gandhi
Life without love feels empty. Express to your partner how full your life is because of their love.
19. “The first symptom of love in a young man is timidity; in a girl boldness.”
– Victor Hugo
Think of how you first felt when you met your loved one. Remind them of that time with this apt quote.
20. “To love is to burn, to be on fire.”
– Jane Austen
The blazing feeling your heart gets when you see your significant other is a perfect way to describe love. Tell them how the flames of love burn in your heart with this quote.
The Right Words
Whichever short love quotes are right for your honey’s Valentine’s Day card, we’re sure you’ll pick the right one. Perfect words for the way you feel are hard to find. These quotes range from funny to religious to classic, and there’s one for everyone.
Spend time expressing your feelings this holiday, and give your partner the ultimate present. Sharing your feelings will help you draw closer to each other.
For more articles about relationships, check out more of our blog.